Saturday, February 11, 2012

Will Google's new search suggestion hurt competition?

I am even more concerned now that they have opted in one-click hypertext searching within the toolbar. For example: enter the keyword weather from the google homepage and the only link you can click on to go directly to the page is the weather channel's "weather.com".





Another person in a blog said this:


For example, let’s say you operate a site that ranks #1 on Google for “Dresses in NYC” and your competitors ranks #1 for “Dresses in New York City.” Well, if people are allowed to type in the search terms as they prefer, then a fair distribution would be sent to you and your competition. However, what if a person who would normally type in “Dresses in NYC” is typing this “Dresses in N…” and Google suggests “Dresses in New York City”? Then your competitor will get all the traffic every time. I think “I’m feeling lucky” is unfair two, as only the #1 ranked company comes up every time for the search term rather than a fair distribution among the top three websites.





Very concerning if you ask me.|||I wouldn't be too concerned. I myself have always ignored the suggestions because I am typing what I WANT to type, and to be honest, I think people don't really want to be given suggestions every time they search. I wouldn't worry.|||Everyone is free to pay the fee to be listed at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment